Maine Eye Center
The Circulating Registered Nurse works in collaboration with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and entire OR staff to maintain a safe surgical environment for the patient.
This position generally works four days per week Monday – Friday between 6:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Flexibility in schedule is needed in order to meet business goals and provide exceptional patient service.
Responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Preparing the local and regional injections according to the surgeon’s order
- Assisting in the preparation of medications used by the anesthesiologist
- Making sure that the operating room is properly prepared for the surgery scheduled including: preparing supplies, sterilizing instruments, and checking the working order of the equipment
- Opening of sterile packs, instruments, and supplies assuring that a sterile environment is maintained
- Overseeing and supervision of the operating room and pre/post-operative areas on a surgical day
- Documenting in the controlled substances log
- Dispensing controlled narcotics, according to physician order
- Reporting and troubleshooting all broken or defective supplies or equipment
- Checking and supplying the operating room at the end of the day
- Providing in-service to the staff where needed
- Assisting in the training program of the student surgical technicians
- Checking surgeon preference cards; making sure they are accurate and current
- Providing emotional support for the patient
- Assisting in reviewing all policies and procedures annually
- Assisting in implementing a quality improvement program
- Practicing safe aseptic technique and be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeon or anesthesiologist
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Minimum of one year of nursing experience is required or one year of experience in an operating room in another capacity is required. Knowledge of organizational policies and clinical procedures being performed, the ability to consistently speak clearly and concisely is required. Demonstrated knowledge of medications used by the surgeon and anesthesiologist, including preparing and dispensing narcotics. Exceptional customer service and leadership skills. Attention to detail and accuracy in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment is essential. Consistently using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
BSN or degree from accredited Registered Nursing program is required.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS
Active Maine RN license is required. BLS is required and ACLS certification is required within six months.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Requires normal range of vision and hearing for patient contact. Work may require standing for long periods of time; also stooping, bending, reaching, and lifting. The ability to move patients on stretchers and wheelchairs who may weigh 300+ pounds. Requires manual dexterity to operate variety of medical equipment. Must be able to move physically from floor to floor. Occasionally lifting over 40 pounds.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDIITONS
Work is performed in a fast-paced perioperative environment. Involves contact with patients, physicians, and staff with a variety of personalities. Requires ability to work in a team environment as well as multitasking. Occasional overtime or evening work may be requested.
PSYCHOLOGICAL DEMANDS (in a usual workday)
Must possess excellent organizational and time management skills in order to handle multiple and sometimes conflicting tasks. Must be able to work with minimal supervision regarding time management and have the ability to consistently make sound, ethical decisions in emergency situations. Demonstrated ability to make accurate assessments while establishing and maintaining effective working relationships within the organization.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Know and follow all safety rules and procedures
- Follow proper Workplace Ergonomics
- Report any unsafe act or workplace conditions
Ensure HIPAA compliance
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $30.37 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Pet insurance
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
Universal masking within buildings is required
- OR: 1 year (Required)
- RN License (Required)
- BLS Certification (Required)