Website Maine Eye Center
Maine Eye is northern New England’s most comprehensive eye specialty practice. Our highly trained physicians and optometrists have enjoyed helping the people of southern Maine see the world around them clearly for over 100 years. We look forward to continuing this legacy for the next 100 years.
We are seeking several Ophthalmic Assistants, who will be trained under the direction of the Clinic Manager and Clinic Coordinators, as well as cross trained with Maine Eye Center’s Medical Administrative Assistants. The position will be responsible for gathering important patient medical history, as well as performing visual screening and diagnostic testing prior to doctor’s visit with patients. Also, may be asked to provide support when needed while Ophthalmic skills are being developed and expanded upon. This role performs all other duties required to assist in/and or ensure the delivery of complete eye care and treatment of patients.
- Performing initial screening by taking patient history, measuring visual acuity, pupil assessment, gross external exam, basic manual lensometry (single vision, multifocal, and progressive lenses), stereo testing, color vision testing with color plates, visual field testing by confrontation, motility (EOM), angle assessment, Goldmann Applanation and Tonopen tonometry, BAT, manifest refraction etc.
- Maintaining knowledge of medical terminology anatomy and physiology of the eye
- Maintaining knowledge of ocular pharmacology; administering of topical ophthalmic medication or oral medications under the direction of the Physician
- Performing diagnostics such as optical coherence tomography (OCT), Topography, IOL Master, Humphrey Visual Field (HVF), etc.
- Gathering accurate documentation for Electronic Medical Records
- Assisting with in-office procedures ensuring proper informed consent is obtained, setting up and cleaning up rooms from procedures
- Assisting with patient education
- Instructing the patient regarding testing procedures using clear and concise language
- Maintaining cleanliness and keeping equipment in order within the exam rooms
- Assist in providing training to other ophthalmic personnel, as needed and as assigned
- Functioning as a scribe for the ophthalmologist as needed
- Assisting with laser and ophthalmic procedures in the minor procedure room as needed
- Providing cross coverage of technical assistance to all specialties and providers at Maine Eye as needed
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to establish, and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
- Ability to exercise judgment, initiative, and possess problem-solving skills.
- Professional communication with internal and external contacts and patients.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment is essential.
- Demonstrate respect for staff and patients and experience maintaining confidentiality.
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with strong attention to detail
- High level of proficiency with technology required. Demonstrate proficiency with updating electronic medical records.
Benefits: Onsite training, and certification reimbursement available. No weekends, nor evenings. Overtime may occur based on patient population needs. Medical plan options, dental, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match up to 5%, 3 weeks of paid time off, 10 paid holidays.
Pay: From $19/hour. Bonuses available to new hires after 90 and 120 days of employment.
Schedule: This position generally works five days per week, Monday through Friday between 7:30 am and 5pm. Flexibility in schedule is occasionally needed in order to meet business goals and provide exceptional patient service.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $19.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Signing bonus
Universal masking is required in all buildings.
- patient facing: 1 year (Required)